Administrator
    Blog Entries

JC Penny Has Great QRCode Campaign for the Holidays

I LOVE this idea! JC Penny has a QRCode campaign for the holidays that let you record a holiday greeting to send along with you gift.

From Mashable:

J.C. Penney shoppers will receive a “Santa Tag” sticker with each purchase this holiday season. The tags contain individualized QR codes that can be scanned with any QR code reader to record a personalized voice message. Gift recipients can, in turn, scan the codes to hear the recorded voice message when they open their gifts.

Shari McConahay

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    It is definitely a "why didn't I think of that" moment! I actually will look to shop there this season because of it. Besides loving the idea as a marketer, I love it as a shopper too! What do you think?
    Shari McConahay

Free Member
    This is a great idea, they should put it on greeting cards!

Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!
    I completely agree. It’s a really neat, new way to use QR Codes. I still am a believer that QR Codes will be used more in the future and are just up and coming.

Free Member
    Definitely they have a long way to go. There are still some people who have never scanned a QR code and don't even know what one is. As smart phones and mobile marketing in general take off, I think we will see more and more of them.

Also, they seem to be more popular in Japan where the cell phone market is much more advanced, so I think it's just a matter of time before the US catches up.

Free Member

Very cool and progressive, but...

I like it, very cool. But QR codes for grandma is going to be tough sell. I bet next year they move to video. Now that would be cool!
    I guess they have a reserved URL associated with each QR code sticker. That's a clever idea.
    Yet another reason for 'heads down' phone activity, instead of being social in person (at Christmas?). But it is cool.
    The SEO PRO's at KO Websites
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Bay Area Web Designers
    Bay Area SEO
    "Happy to help anyone any time"

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I thought it is definitely a progressive idea and interesting campaign and likely not targeting "grandmothers". I was thinking of sending it to relatives and friends that we won't get to see in person for the holidays, but would also be keeping in mind if it is someone that would even know what to do with a QRCode and then have the technology to scan it too! It does narrow the possibilities. I would love to see campaign stats at the end of the season!
    Shari McConahay

Free Member
    Good point, Shari. I bet this will be a lot of people's first experiences of scanning a QR code!