Free Member

Facebook Launches Subscribe Button

Facebook is not just for friends anymore, folks! Today they released a "Subscribe" Button (pictured below) which allows you to follow someone's public updates without the hassle of friendship requests. This is similar to Twitter's Follow feature in that it does not require a reciprocal relationship.

Has anyone "Subscribed" to someone's Facebook updates yet? What do you think of the new feature? Predictions for the future??

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    That seems confusing to me - what is the difference between subscribe, friend, follow?
    Facebook sure has been making a lot of changes lately! (More than usual, anyhow.)
    Shari McConahay

Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!
    I agree Shari. The different options are starting to become a little crossed for me. Is this a helpful feature or does it just make Facebook a little bit more complex? Seems like this too is in response to Google+

Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shari McConahay View Post
    That seems confusing to me - what is the difference between subscribe, friend, follow?
    Facebook sure has been making a lot of changes lately! (More than usual, anyhow.)
    It can definitely get confusing! I tend to think of the "subscribe" button being for you to receive the status updates of people who wouldn't necessarily accept your friend request - i.e. celebrities, politicians, etc. I would say this feature is more closely modeled after Twitter in this respect, but Facebook has definitely been implementing features to compete with Google+ lately as well.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    After reading it over a few times, I think I get it. It also helps to read Mari Smith's article about it: https://plus.google.com/112707199408484711520/posts/aDtVaQVhMrR

She is so great.
    Shari McConahay

Free Member
    Great article, Shari. Thanks for sharing, it does clear some things up. I wonder what influence this will have on the upcoming election.

Free Member
    This article also clears up how different types of people can use the subscribe button: http://mashable.com/2011/09/15/faceb...bscribe-users/

I hadn't thought about the teacher/student role until I read that. Seems like a great idea, students can subscribe to the teacher's facebook page and get homework reminders right from their Facebook procrastination news feed!

Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!
    Thank you for sharing the Mashable article Mikhaila. That definitely cleared up some questions for me!