Free Member

Another Case of Social Media Breaking News

It happened when Michael Jackson died and it happened again today. Social networks such as Facebook and Twitter got the scoop of the earthquakes in the Northeastern US long before any news media picked up the story.

This is just another case of how social networks are becoming the go-to source for breaking news. What are some projections you have about the future of social media?

Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Social Media Earthquake

It definitely was a very social Earthquake, for sure. There is an article about it in the IMC News section as well. I also thought this was funny this morning: http://mashable.com/2011/08/23/earth...dia-reactions/ It has a slide show of some funny tweets. At least we can be joking around about it instead of cleaning up a disaster!
    Shari McConahay

Free Member
    Right - if the first thing you do after an earthquake is tweet about it or update your status, it must not have been that bad of an earthquake! At least nobody was hurt and there was no serious damage.

Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!
    Now that we have the opportunity to be plugged in at all times, I see it getting harder and harder for media to keep up with breaking news. Even in unfortunate situations (i.e. tornado, earthquake etc), there is almost always someone who has a mobile phone. People want to tell their loved ones/friends they are okay or unfortunately, if they need help.

The amazing part is that it isnít just in one centralized geographic area Ė it happens all over the world now.