Why are brands not extending conversations into the digital landscape?\

Yesterday I wrote a blog post talking about how it was a FAIL on part of the brands that purchased air time during the superbowl only to leave it at that. Why not extend the conversation to places like twitter? There is clearly mass brand interest that can be extended through conversation. Is this a fail on part of the agencies or the brand managers?

As a data point. I tracked real time mentions of products and services on twitter after the spots ran. Some got more traction that others but none were under 1,000 mentions in the first two minutes. The google ad made 15,000 mentions in the first three minutes!

Wow! That was good thinking on tracking that kind of data during the Super Bowl Keith. You should put a link to your blog post in here for us to take a gander on your thoughts. I have to believe that ad agencies that work through and are still spending 3Million on a commercial during the Super Bowl are not agencies that have necessarily realized the full potential of extending conversations into the digital landscape. I mean what kind of a buzz could Jay generate for that kind of money (and prove it) vs one 30 second spot. For Doritos I think their head advertising person fell asleep for 6 months, found a huge marketing budget that needed to be spent like Brewsters millions and found the best and fastest place to dump 30+ Million with the least amount of hours needed to spend it. I guess it all depends upon your goals and what you call ROI. If you need to spend it fast and make sure its hard to actually track performance; buy 10 Super Bowl commercials. I will say in the long run, that I imagine BIG brand marketing must be a bit different than mid and small sized marketing. I wonder when your brand is so big that it does just need impressions to remind people that it is there.

I agree completely with your thoughts on the Doritos spend, and aren't we past the overuse of untrackable dollar spend? But to add to your point about BIG brand spending, sometimes the impressions are absolutely all that are needed when you have a brand with a longer purchase cycle. After spending a number of years working on a predictive model for a very BIG brand with a long purchase cycle, we needed to drive X number of impressions to a site for X number of interactions that translated to X number of inquiries, etc. down the line to sales. This type of formula could be adapted for brands of other sizes in other categories, but I rarely seen it taken to this science. Instead, the giant Superbowl spend is more about bravdo in the ad world. I would like to see a follow-up in six months to see after the ads ran, the twitters were counted, what was next? Cheyenne Throckmorton said:
    Wow! That was good thinking on tracking that kind of data during the Super Bowl Keith. You should put a link to your blog post in here for us to take a gander on your thoughts.

I have to believe that ad agencies that work through and are still spending 3Million on a commercial during the Super Bowl are not agencies that have necessarily realized the full potential of extending conversations into the digital landscape. I mean what kind of a buzz could Jay generate for that kind of money (and prove it) vs one 30 second spot.

For Doritos I think their head advertising person fell asleep for 6 months, found a huge marketing budget that needed to be spent like Brewsters millions and found the best and fastest place to dump 30+ Million with the least amount of hours needed to spend it.

I guess it all depends upon your goals and what you call ROI. If you need to spend it fast and make sure its hard to actually track performance; buy 10 Super Bowl commercials.

I will say in the long run, that I imagine BIG brand marketing must be a bit different than mid and small sized marketing. I wonder when your brand is so big that it does just need impressions to remind people that it is there.