Domain Name Change

We have greatly expanded the product offering of one of our sites and the domain name is no longer representative of what all we sell. I would like to change the domain name but am concerned about the impact on search rankings, etc. Can I assume most issues are overcome with a 301 redirect?

I would first use a tool like SEM Rush to determine which keywords I am currently ranking well for.* Then I would make sure that the meta data matches up so that I can retain those rankings or everything you have done up until now will have become a waste.* Then 301's will do the trick.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your response Chris. This may be a question for the Facebook Group but I've also got to address implications for our facebook page.

Chris Thompson said:

I would first use a tool like SEM Rush to determine which keywords I am currently ranking well for.* Then I would make sure that the meta data matches up so that I can retain those rankings or everything you have done up until now will have become a waste.* Then 301's will do the trick.

I hope this helps.