Free Member

Foursquare Hits 1 Billion Checkins

Foursquare announced it's 1 billionth checkin sometime last week. Foursquare accomplished this milestone in about 2.5 years, first launching in March 2009. The location-based social network has just over 10 million users, putting the average checkin per user at 100.

Check out the video to see what a week of checkins on Foursquare looks like across the globe:

A Week of Check-ins on the Path to One Billion from foursquare on Vimeo.

Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!
    Thanks for sharing Mikhaila. I think location-based services are only going to continue to grow as the mobile market expands. Mobile marketing is just being tapped into by many marketers.

The recently released Nielsen Social Media Report explains, Close to 40 percent of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone.

Congrats Foursquare!

Free Member
    I agree with you about location-based networks growing along with mobile. With all the new tablets being released and catching on with the public I think it will continue to grow. It was looking like Foursquare was on it's way out, but if businesses keep offering incentives to check-in, I don't see it stopping any time soon.

Free Member

Nokia's Foursquare Vending Machine

Nokia and Foursquare partnered up to create a vending machine that spits out prizes when you check in at the vending machine.

All you have to do is check in to the machine on Foursquare using the #NokiaConnects hashtag, share it to Twitter and then collect your prize. In essence, Nokia is giving you a treat for doing some of its social media marketing.
    Check this out:

Very smart!

Free Member

Foursquare Tops 15 Million Users

Foursquare has grown three-fold since the beginning of this year, with over 15 million users. Half of Foursquare users are in the US, while the other half are located abroad.

It will be interesting to see how Foursquare fares with Gowalla being bought by Facebook. Any theories?