Administrator
    Blog Entries

Email from Webmaster Tools Re: Unnatural Links

So yesterday I received two emails from Google's Webmaster Tools stating that I had unnatural links on two of my sites. This was extremely upsetting news, not only is it bad timing, with the beginning of our busy Halloween season just weeks away, but I never traded or bought any links at all ever. My sites are old, one is 17 years old and the other is about 15 years old. We have a lot of links, but not many in comparison to some of the bigger corporate competition we have. I poured over my Webmaster Tools stats looking for suspicious links and really didn't find much. Of course, Google doesn't explain which links they are unhappy with either. One of the links to both sites is from a site called Updowner.com, which is evidently something that Google is not happy with, but they went on record just last week to say they actually ignore links from this spammy site. http://searchengineland.com/not-all-...ks-also-126349

I plan on sharing with you all my experience with this process so that hopefully other can learn from my misfortune.

Bing already has a disavow link tool and now Google is reportedly working on one as well.

I am so glad I decided to speak up and share this tonight, I just rechecked one of the articles I read this morning on SERoundTable, to see an update was posted at 4:45pm EST. The update added a Google + update from Matt Cutts telling webmasters not to panic if they received an email yesterday because the reason so many emails were sent out yesterday is that they began sending out emails to webmasters even if they were NOT being penalized by the unnatural links. Google is merely sending out a type of warning to let webmasters know that there might be a problem. I am so relieved and really hope I fall into this category since there has not been any loss in search traffic since the email yesterday afternoon.

I really hope that Google re-evaluates the inbound linking situation because it appears to be getting out of control quickly. SERoundTable also reported today that since Penguin, Google's Adwords has experienced an increase of 42% in paid ads. In addition to that, many of these spammy link sites that websites are being penalized for having links from are now charging up to as much as $500 for link removal!

I will keep you updated of my situation!
    Shari McConahay

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE: This afternoon I received new email notifications letting me know that my sites are not being penalized for the unnatural links since they are not our fault we were linked to. THANK GOODNESS!
    Shari McConahay