Ambassador

Jay Berkowitz is an Ambassador!
    Blog Entries

Google Panda 2.2

Panda.png

Google has made their biggest changes to their algorithm since the Florida change of 2003 (named after the Florida hurricanes).

How has Panda 2.2 affected your websites?

This thread will discuss the Panda updates and what we know about them.

More about Panda 2.2 ...

As Googles Cutts explained, 2.2 was to improve scraper detection and that these Panda updates are pushed out manually.
    For more information on how Panda works, see Danny Sullivans Why Google Panda Is More A Ranking Factor Than Algorithm Update that went up here today on Search Engine Land. It also covers related Panda history and tips.

Google Panda 2.2-WordPress sites are the big winner

The sites I manage had extreme differences with the Panda update.

One of the sites I manage had a significant impact, where 25 pages (all ranked on 1st page for SERP) were dropped out of the index, in what seemed like overnight. Over the past, 60-90 days of making modifications to the meta, linking and on-page content I've been able to get those pages back to were they were but it took alot of analysis and research. I'm happy to share the specifics, if anyone is interested.

The other 4 sites, which are all WordPress went from 3rd page to 1st page on Google. I've been hearing Google loves WordPress and here's some proof. My WordPress sites were definitely the big winner from the Panda update.

Please share what you've found :)

Michelle

I would be very interested in hearing about the specifics you've found?

Thank you

Stu

Google Panda 2.2-SEO specifics

Hey Stuart!

I stared with looking at the overall website internal linking structure and URL names from top level menu's through sub-menu's and attached documents. I made tweaks as to making sure categorically they made sense. Ie. Top level pages-General and drilled down to more specific category pages. Also made sure all cross linking in categories that crossed over.

I believe though, the biggest impact came from re-optimizing the pages themselves.
    1. Only 1-2 Keyword phrases were now ranking per page. I had to prioritize the importance of the key words and limit what I was trying to get the page to rank for. In other words, I was casting a net, instead of throwing a line out for a specific fish. :-)
    2. I found a direct relationship between, the page title tag and the anchor linked text or the 1st sentence in the page copy. The most important keyword should be first in the title tag, and also needed to be in an anchor link text or in the on page content in the first 25 words on the page.
    3. Improved "thin" content pages w/unique relevant content.
    4. Focused blog post linking (which has a different domain name) back to main websites deeper internal pages, with long tail keyword phrases.

With all URL changes, 301 redirects were done for the changed URL and with each page modification the sitemap was re-submitted in Google Webmaster tools. I also noticed that as the bounce rate improved the indexed pages came back. (26-March, 5-April, 21-May and 29-June) I don't know if this will work for every site but these are the steps I took for this website.

I'm curious to know if anyone else found these same conclusions or used the similar tactics?

Michelle

Ambassador

Jay Berkowitz is an Ambassador!
    Blog Entries

Interesting Article today in the WSJ about a site recovering from Panda

The site HubPages feels that they are recovering from a Panda 'death grip' in an article today in the Wall Street Journal

Google Panda 2.2-SEO specifics-Wrong Conclusions?

Stuart,

After today's webinar on Panda-The new Google Recipe (which was outstanding..btw, very well done!). I think I may have jumped to the wrong conclusions, as to why the pages were pulled back into the index and ranking again. I had my old pre-Panda SEO hat on.

The goal of re-working the website architecture/navigation was to improve the user experience, helping them to find the information they were looking for. Ultimately, those actions did increase page views per visit, time on site and reduced the bounce rate. Before today's webinar, I concluded that these metrics had little influence on the pages ranking again, than what was done to rework on/off page SEO. This is really a shift in how I need to approach SEO and analyzing metrics in the future.

Can you share any insight into how to gauge organic CTR's? What's good/bad? What kind of actions should you take?

Thanks,
    Michelle

Michelle

First off, let me thank you for the positive feedback about the webinar

Let's talk about how to gauge organic CTR's. I think the easiest way to gauge CTR's for organic traffic is going into Analytics and reviewing the bounce rate and time on site for organic keywords. As of now Google is saying it's not using data from Analytics but they can tell if somebody does a search for something goes to a site and then comes back moments later and goes to another site. If you do a search like this you will see the ability to block content from the site you clicked on.

As for actions, I think you need to worry about two key tags. If you write an effective title and description tag you are less likely to have people clicking on your search result and then bouncing back after a few seconds. These effective tags will also help improve your click through rate on the search results.

Google Panda 2.2-CTR and Bounce Rates

Stuart,

Thanks for your feedback! Are you still finding that a bounce rate of 50% or below is still good? (generally speaking)

Interesting that Google is saying that they aren't using analytics data when they do track CTR's for search queries in Google Webmaster tools. Although I have found Google analytics, seems to pick up more geo-modifiers with the search terms. I also recently noticed in Webmaster tools, Google is tracking " +1 metrics" which includes CTR. I think you are on to something with organic CTR as good metric to track. I'm going to add this to my dashboard reports.

Yes, I would agree that a 50% bounce rate or less is still good. Good call to add organic CTR your dashboard, I'm going to be doing the same for all my clients

I looked at the overall web page inner connecting framework and URL titles from top stage menu's through sub-menu's and connected records. After Google panda updates most of the websites have been hit but if they use quality material at the web then the consequences couldn't have been not so bad.
    Last edited by Jason Elve; 07-19-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    For website design service services for only $1/ month. Feel free to visit us or
    Call at toll free: 1-800-929-6163 and place your order now.
    Address: 207 Mineola Ave., Suite 515 Roslyn Heights, New York 11577
    Questions regarding sales: sales@mapitinc.com
    After sale support: support@mapitinc.com

Google Pand

I dont worry about Google or anyone else for that matter. And certainly you never ever block Google or any other search engine from crawling any domain, thats just plain silly.

На школьную п&

почему? А так спасибо.

Google Panda Update 2.2 Is Live
    We have been expecting the Panda 2.2 update based on news coming out of the SMX Advanced conference. Matt Cutts told SMX attendees that Panda 2.2 has been approved, hasnt been rolled out yet, but that should happen soon.

The update hit sometime late last week. I believe Google manually pushed out the Panda 2.2 update around June 16th.

As some of you know, I track the SEO discussion forums very closely and have two posts at the Search Engine Roundtable discussing Webmaster chatter around this update. The first was on June 16th where I referenced ongoing WebmasterWorld threads and the second was on June 20th where I added in more Google Webmaster Help Threads.

Yesterday, I asked Google for confirmation that these discussions taking place were likely due to the Panda 2.2 release and Google gave us confirmation.

Some webmasters found themselves breaking out of the Panda filter and ranking better again, since being hit on Panda 1.0 on February 24th. Whereas others were hit for the first time, now suffering from the Panda filter.

As Googles Cutts explained, 2.2 was to improve scraper detection and that these Panda updates are pushed out manually.

For more information on how Panda works, see Danny Sullivans Why Google Panda Is More A Ranking Factor Than Algorithm Update that went up here today on Search Engine Land. It also covers related Panda history and tips.