Ambassador

Jay Berkowitz is an Ambassador!
    Blog Entries

Should Blogs be on a Website or Off a Website? - PLEASE COMMENT

One of the most perplexing questions I am often asked is "Should my blog be part of my Website or off the Website on its own? My simple answer is that if you update your website regularly and don't rely on the blog for new content, the blog should be off site so that you establish a second web presence. Often people are more willing to link to a blog than a company website, so you can take advantage of links from the 'blogosphere'. Additionally, you can link to new pages on your website to encourage Google and the other search engines to index or 'read' that page. Many people argue that a blog should be on site to build content and links. What do you think are best practices for blog placement?

Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!
    That is a really great question. I feel the answer to this question is that there is no “right” answer. To really help you answer this question for your business or brand, you have to analyze your short term and long term goals to really steer you in the right direction. There is a lot of discussion going on about this very topic – check out this article http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/3994/Launching-A-Business-Blog-Avoid-This-Common-URL-Mistake-at-Blogspot-and-Typepad.aspx as well as http://sphinn.com/story/126802/. A few questions you should keep in mind with this topic: are you trying to add authority to your main domain? Is more weight to your content the goal? Or do you want to have a standalone community for a purpose of thought leadership as opposed to an intermingled sales pitch?

If you don't have a website now, why have one at all with the power of WordPress. Instead of building a blog or a website, build a blogsite with WordPress. We do this often for our clients and now with http://headwaythemes.com

Free Member
    I think Scott has a great point. I'll expand on it a bit this way. i see a lot of "social groups", just like this one, where most of the comments are designed to lead a reader OFF-site, off-group to a blog. I am always confused by that. This group has blogs, videos, comments, discussions, all the possible bells and whistles for CONTAINING full and complete interactions. While it does sometimes make sense to include references to blogs or off-site active discussions (for reference), it would make more sense to point out a good discussion, summarize it here, and continue the conversation in place. So.. in answer to Jay's question "What do you think are best practices for blog placement? " how about right here? (just an opinion, of course). cheers.