Ambassador

Susan C is an Ambassador!

URL Shorteners of Choice?

With the news of Google and Facebook having their own URL shorteners, Bit.Ly announced a pro service to be launching soon. For me, Bit.Ly seems to be my URL shortener of choice, as it provides tracking. With Bit.Ly launching this pro service it would allows users to customize their URL shorteners to match their brand, along with the tracking that Bit.Ly provides. Would you join? What do you think would be the benefits of doing so?

Ambassador

Jay Berkowitz is an Ambassador!
    Blog Entries
    I love Bit.ly because I get great tracking information for how many people clicked on my Twitter links. It's amazing how these stats make Twitter seem so much more real! When 107 people click on a link it's very motivating to know there is someone out there! Here is a sample of bit.ly stats I get free from www.bit.ly

It depends on the price. There are so any good shorteners out there. Wordpress added their own shortener with the new 2.9 wordpress update. I use su.pr and bit.ly - su.pr (from stumbleupon.com) has some nice analytics and the ability to put a post/link immediately in the SU system as well as making it easy for others to stumble it. Rosh

An even better way to track things like Twitter links is to combine the Google url builder tool (search "tool: url builder" in Google) with a url shortener (bit.ly or ow.ly). Simply use Google's url builder to generate a tracking url, then put that url through your favorite url shortener. This gives you the ability to track the clicks in Google Analytics and access to more information. You can see what people did on your website once they clicked through the link, how long they spent on the site, etc.

Ambassador

Susan C is an Ambassador!
    That's pretty cool you can do that in Analytics. I had no idea. I think that way would be a lot more useful to see that and your Analytics data in one place.

Hi Susan It seems like it might be time for consolidation in the url shortner market and it looks like bit.ly are well positioned as they have invested in infrastructure and give good clickthrough stats.

I personally use Bit.ly - i can track clicks which tells me alot about what my community likes, and if there isn't enough clicks, alot has to do with the time it went out or the topic wasn't interesting!

Free Member
    I was using a mixture of bit.ly and socialoomph's built in shortener as well but with both I was occasionally running into linking issues - error pages. So I bought my own short domain name and use these for all the links I want to track. It's more reliable and I have adtrackers setup for each in 1Shopping cart so I can see clicks and then sales dollars attached if applicable. No it's not as detailed as some stats from bit.ly and hootsuite, but the links work and that is what mattered to me. It is awful when you get a note on twitter that says - your link did not work for me. Kathy

http://socialoomph.com has a shortener feature with great statistics as well - that gets my vote, plus the site has so many other great tools worth using.

I use bitly, but I am still waiting for the official twitter url shortening service

I usually use bit.ly, but didn't know registration would let me track clicks. I love it when I learn something new like this. Thanks Jay and Ana! And I'll check out socialoomph, too!