Ambassador

Susan C is an Ambassador!

FourSquare & GoWalla... A Bit Stalker-ish?

I've heard a lot about FourSquare and GoWalla, and decided to try out both apps myself. It's definitely interesting that in order to "play" you need to tell the app where you are exactly, which may make people uneasy about telling people about their actual whereabouts. I think these apps are great in finding new places, but are they a bit stalker-ish? What do you think?

Ambassador

Jay Berkowitz is an Ambassador!
    Blog Entries
    i just had another great Foursquare experience. I landed in Las Vegas for the Affiliate Summit convention. When I arrived at the hotel Sunday afternoon I 'Foursquared'. I saw my friend was at the All American Bar in the RIO hotel and I headed over and watched a football game with the gang. If you choose to not show your location you can still Foursquare and not allow other to see your location as well.

How many places are you becoming the mayor of? Are people noticing they are the mayor many places? What type of discounts or deals have you received for being the mayor?

Ambassador

Michael Gustman said:
    How many places are you becoming the mayor of? Are people noticing they are the mayor many places? What type of discounts or deals have you received for being the mayor?
    I think you can become the mayor many places. I don't think there really is a limit. Becoming a mayor of a place means that you've checked into that place at least 3 times. But, if another person checks into that place more than you, then they can take the 'mayorship' away from you. Places that participate in Foursquare offer 'mayor specials,' which are discounts for those who are the mayor of that place. Personally, I'm only mayor of one place, and I don't think they will catch onto it in the near future, but it's still an interesting 'game' to play.

It's a very interesting app - I can see the stalkerish side to it, as with lots of 'location' based apps these days. I just got a newbie badge for checking in at Cafe Kia Ora in Atlanta. Just choose not to show your location but still look for friends and that should cover the stalker thing... About the mayor thing: so how accurate can it really be? I don't have to even go in the place I want to be the mayor of - I can go 'near' the place as it shows closest things near by in the search list - and then register myself as being checked in without officially buying something or even visiting the place - this is an exploit of the program, unless there is something I'm missing here... Would I do that? No, but one can't help but to think of this loophole. I really like the program and wouldn't want folks to take advantage...

Oooo, Yikes! I think you're right. Especially for a single woman or someone who would rather their boss not know their exact whereabouts after hours. I think I'll stay away.

Ambassador

Marquis Ford said:
    It's a very interesting app - I can see the stalkerish side to it, as with lots of 'location' based apps these days. I just got a newbie badge for checking in at Cafe Kia Ora in Atlanta. Just choose not to show your location but still look for friends and that should cover the stalker thing...

About the mayor thing: so how accurate can it really be? I don't have to even go in the place I want to be the mayor of - I can go 'near' the place as it shows closest things near by in the search list - and then register myself as being checked in without officially buying something or even visiting the place - this is an exploit of the program, unless there is something I'm missing here...

Would I do that? No, but one can't help but to think of this loophole. I really like the program and wouldn't want folks to take advantage...
    That's a really interesting point. I never thought of it that way, and I think until the app really gets popular like Twitter has, this is something that will be pointed out eventually, maybe.

Free Member
    The best part of these tools is that you are in complete control of what you post. It is not a requirement. It is a compliment to what you are already doing. These kind of tools help the consumer take control of the retail and restaurant market because they create Prosumer data. NOT paid advertisements. The responses are typically more reputable. Those are my thoughts. Brian Walton said:
    Oooo, Yikes! I think you're right.

Especially for a single woman or someone who would rather their boss not know their exact whereabouts after hours.

I think I'll stay away.

They are stalker-ish for sure, but these apps are just scratching the surface. There are others that allow you to share everything you are purchasing. That's scary!

I've been playing with FourSquare for about two weeks. I'm still waiting to be the mayor of a place I visit. I'm going to checkout GoWalla tonight.