Buying from your own affiliate link??

A topic I have questioned since becoming involved in affiliate marketing is.... If you know a product that you want to buy is¬*selling it through an affiliate link, is it wrong or unethical to buy that product and get the percentage by buying it from your own affiliate link?¬*

¬*

What if you don't have any interest in promoting that product, but just want to get a discount¬*in the form of a commission from your own affiliate link?¬* What if you do intend on promoting it after your purchase?

¬*

Interested in getting some feedback from this community?

¬*

Adrian Childers

Ambassador

Susan C is an Ambassador!
    I'd also like to know if that is unethical, as I know of people who have done it. If you're supporting the business by buying products from their store, why wouldn't you just click from your affiliate link and get some commission off of it? How about cash back sites such as eBates? I'm not sure if that's the same thing, but clicking through eBates to an online store and then buying something, you're essentially clicking through an affiliate link as well, right?

Hey Susan! So I haven't heard any feedback since I posted the question. I have come to the conclussion though that if the merchant doesn't want someone to click on their own link, they will not allow you to do it. I think its fairly easy for merchants to determine whether someone clicked on there own link and decide whether to give the credit to them or not. The only person it really isn't fair to though is the affiliate who doesn't get credit who made you aware of the product. For the affiliates sake, merchants should probably do the best they can to hide the affiliate opportunity until the transaction has been made so the original affiliate can get the credit. Susan Cruz said:
    I'd also like to know if that is unethical, as I know of people who have done it. If you're supporting the business by buying products from their store, why wouldn't you just click from your affiliate link and get some commission off of it?

How about cash back sites such as eBates? I'm not sure if that's the same thing, but clicking through eBates to an online store and then buying something, you're essentially clicking through an affiliate link as well, right?

Free Member
    From my experience most merchants allow buying from your own affiliate link. If the merchant does not allow it they usually put it in their terms and services.

I agree with Mr. O'Hare I'm allowed to purchase from my affiliate site and get the commission.

I bought a product once through my own link - don't see a problem with it - in fact, as a consumer advocate, I sometimes go through the entire sales process so that I am better informed and can share my experience with our subscribers - there are a lot of scammy offers out there and I'd rather find them myself before distributing them to our subscribers.

Hi Adrian, I'm the author of 3 original titles that I promote through affiliate programs. I monitor the sales and affiliate signups and if I see someone buying the product and then signing up to be an affiliate I usually call them up and ask why they didn't sign up first and then buy. Then I go back and either adjust their credit card for a partial purchase refund, or I enter the sale in their affiliate section and send them the commission. I like taking care of customers and certainly my affiliates. And I figure if it's just someone looking to save a little money, hey, I was going to pay that commission out to someone anyway, and this person might decide to be an affiliate.

Free Member
    Paul Purcell said:
    I like taking care of customers and certainly my affiliates. And I figure if it's just someone looking to save a little money, hey, I was going to pay that commission out to someone anyway, and this person might decide to be an affiliate.
    Good, sound reasoning to me. I also follow the same prinicple as Randy, and want to know more about a product I'm advocating by purchasing it myself. Also, if it is a web hosting service, for example, it is good to be able to take screenshots of setup procedures, etc., to provide followup support on a purchase.

I've personally done it to save a few dollars.¬* It comes down to a personal choice.¬* As long as it's not a violation of any form of Terms of Service, then I see no reason why you should not.

¬*

Separately, Paul's idea is a good one.¬* Commissions are typically taken out of the profit margin of the product anyways.¬* Affiliates educated with a product (in this case his books) have a better chance of promoting it intelligently which could ultimately result in better and more sales.

Well i have noticed that most suppliers allow purchasing from your own on-line web link. If the vendor does not allow it they usually put it in their conditions and solutions.
    Last edited by Jason Elve; 07-19-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    For website design service services for only $1/ month. Feel free to visit us or
    Call at toll free: 1-800-929-6163 and place your order now.
    Address: 207 Mineola Ave., Suite 515 Roslyn Heights, New York 11577
    Questions regarding sales: sales@mapitinc.com
    After sale support: support@mapitinc.com

I think it helps less

I think mostly, when you click your own link, it doesn't work. But, if someone were to set-up a how-to procedure, then than should be fine, if the system allows it

You can buy product on your affiliate link and have commission from vendor .