Domain Name Forwarding for SEO

My client wants to buy many keyword-rich domains, with and without hyphens, and forward them at the ISP to the main domain.

Does this help or hurt with SEO?

If the client is buying these domains, they are not likely to help much with SEO. The reason is that search engines look at who owns the domains and where they are hosted. If Google, for example, sees all of these domains sharing a registrant or an IP address, they will quickly discredit links from these domains.

So, if I buy for them, through a different ISP and forward to their site, does that fix it?

Free Member
    To get the most value out of this strategy there are a few things you have to pay attention to: 1. What is the C-block of the IP address you want to develop these domains on (note: develop, not forward) make sure its different then the one you want to link back to for authority. Sometimes hosts can offer you differ c-blocks, for example at hostgator or seohosting, or gotwebhost.com. 2. The actual domain registration process is important, google is a registrar and they can see whois in their algorithms, so make sure the contact info is different then the one you want to link to. 3. Make sure your domain registrar allows 301 redirects of its domains, many don't, I know for sure go daddy does, and im sure a dozen others as well. If its a 302 it is not worth anything. Bottom line, develop the domains, put some content on them, then link back to main domain with relevant achor text on targeted pages, deep links. Forwarding keyword rich domains to an existing domain is not a beneficial practice anymore, and can cause more harm then good.

I agree with John. Forwarding the keyword-rich domains isn't going to produce any benefit. Take the domains and setup a WordPress blog on each of them and use it as a CMS. I would create 5-10 optimized pages for each domain and use the example John explained above with regards to the anchor text.

Want to talk abou the with and without hyphens thing. In some testing we did, we found that a strongly hyphenated domain did NOT do well. Others who have done the same research said that two, maybe three hyphens in a domain are accepted. Otherwise google looks at it as keyword loading, and penalizes. I do real estate webpages. Part of our program is property specific sites. What we do now is.. like.. "102-yourstreet-city.com" This seems to work OK. When we did something like "102-yourstreet-drive-city-state.com" we found we didn't move in google very well. Thoughts?

Free Member
    I would imagine you are correct, that much hyphenation looks spammy to me. But why would you use that URL structure to begin with? Do home buyers search 10 Walmer Road Toronto Ontario? I am not in real estate so I do not know, but as a multiple home buyer I would only search the exact address if I knew there was a mass murder in the area or something. If I were you, I would group all my listings into targeted domain groups such as Toronto-Annex.com or whatever the neighborhood name is. I feel its more likely for home buyers to search for a neighborhood they are looking at purchasing in, instead of an address. Then you could also set up a blog with very easy content to create about that neighborhood by your office administrator such as upcoming events and the normal community news. Or instead of the 'hood focus on your target market, such as loft buyers, or waterfront buyers. Domains such as Toronto-Annex-Lofts.com would bring in incredibly targeted searchers, which with the right landing pages could convert at crazy percentages. Parham Baker said:
    Want to talk abou the with and without hyphens thing. In some testing we did, we found that a strongly hyphenated domain did NOT do well. Others who have done the same research said that two, maybe three hyphens in a domain are accepted. Otherwise google looks at it as keyword loading, and penalizes. I do real estate webpages. Part of our program is property specific sites. What we do now is.. like.. "102-yourstreet-city.com"

This seems to work OK. When we did something like "102-yourstreet-drive-city-state.com" we found we didn't move in google very well.

Thoughts?

Ambassador

Jay Berkowitz is an Ambassador!
    Blog Entries
    So long as you don't overdo it it should be OK. 5-10 likely no problem, 2,000 might be too many ;)

I have seen hyphens with domains and without.* If it joins a few keywords then I haven't seen a problem.* I have not done any tests where it will prove a hyphened domain would rank higher than a domain that has the same words but is without hyphens or vice versa.* It does seem now that domains that include 2-3 keywords which are being optimized for are definitely ranking higher.

That being said, what I have figured out is that assuming the ownership on expired domains with high pagerank in order to basically start off with that PageRank number (vs. building it from scratch) does not work.* As soon as the whois information is changed, Google sees this and clears all of the legacy statistics out of its directory.* Luckily I went into buying an expired domain with the intent of using it whether or not it was kaiboshed and I only paid $9, however these expired domain auctions where a domain may run into the thousands of dollars would be a ripoff if the sole purpose of acquiring that domain was for the PageRank.

Regards,

Chris

I'd like to second what John said. If you have the domains put something there that is relevant content to what you are selling and then link to your main site. It will help your main site's SEO as well as build relevance for the other sites that can/will drive traffic through them to your main site. All one big happy family sending all the searchers/consumers where you want them to go.