Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!

How Do You Use Your Facebook Presence?

In attending the Facebook Wednesday Webinar last week – the following question sparked in my mind:

How are you using your Facebook presence?

Facebook is a great tool for a variety of actions such as reaching out to potential customers, reaching out to existing customers, building a brand etc. *However, it also has a personal touch to it where you can reach out to friends from your past or keep in touch with folks that you may never have otherwise spoken to again. *So my question to you is, how are you integrating the two? *There are a few different ways to look at this question. *Perhaps you segment your friends list? *Do you have separate profiles for personal and business? *Or do you mix both your personal and business friends?

It’s a great question to kick around before you actually dive into Facebook or social media as a whole. * * *

Your personal friends are a great place to start when building a business page. If you suggest your business page to friends first, they are the most likely to respond to your page suggestion. If they 'like' you page, then it becomes visible to their friends and has a snowball effect. For this reason, I definitely recommend utilizing your personal friends when building a business page.

Ambassador

Thanks for the response Marc. I completely agree from that perspective. My question was targeted more so at your own profile and business related contacts versus personal friends – not in terms of a business page. Marc Purtell said:
    Your personal friends are a great place to start when building a business page. If you suggest your business page to friends first, they are the most likely to respond to your page suggestion. If they 'like' you page, then it becomes visible to their friends and has a snowball effect. For this reason, I definitely recommend utilizing your personal friends when building a business page.

Ambassador

Susan C is an Ambassador!
    I use my Facebook presence on a personal level. I also have a Facebook page for my blog. If you want to veer out into using Facebook to develop a business, then it's best to have a Facebook page, not profile. If you have a page it does not tie into your personal profile - meaning there is no reference of you being the creator of that page. I think this definitely helps if you want to use Facebook on a personal level to keep in touch with friends, AND have a presence for your business. By using filters on your personal page, you can also control how much you want to share on your profile. I would recommend sharing your page, not your profile if you're using Facebook for business.

The facebook realm is defiantly a diverse one and as you said Erika can be used for a variety of actions. To answer your question on how I personally use facebook. I right now use one account to keep in touch with friends and business contacts. A greater percent of contacts are business related but my posts and messages are designed to be mutually beneficial for all contacts. Plus if your friends want to refer you it is easier for them if doing so via the facebook portal. What about you Erika what is your facebook strategy?

Ambassador

I’ve actually delved into the Facebook world a little late Richard, and that is part of the reason why I pondered the question. I have always gravitated towards Twitter because I love the simplicity yet power the service provides. As for the Facebook strategy, I do not think there is a right or wrong answer. Personally, it has turned into a tool for me to keep in touch with folks I probably wouldn’t have otherwise more than business right now. Yes, I do use it to keep in touch with folks in the same space (Internet Marketing) as well but less than the personal aspect. I agree with Susan’s comment above that it may be more beneficial to have a Business Page depending on how you are branding yourself and/or business. Richard Kaulfers said:
    The facebook realm is defiantly a diverse one and as you said Erika can be used for a variety of actions.
    To answer your question on how I personally use facebook. I right now use one account to keep in touch with friends and business contacts. A greater percent of contacts are business related but my posts and messages are designed to be mutually beneficial for all contacts. Plus if your friends want to refer you it is easier for them if doing so via the facebook portal.

What about you Erika what is your facebook strategy?

Erika, I as well agree Susan. Having a page that is used for business is powerful. One your not annoying friends who could care less about your services but you can provide valuable content to your clients and target audience.

Good discussion! I primarily use my Facebook account for personal connecting though I have been expanding it a bit using a business list with business contacts. I also have a Facebook Page for myself which is fully business focused. So the personal account is still 70/30 majority for friends and deeper connecting while the Page is 90/10 the other way. I have added some business Apps to my personal profile like TabSite to help expand my profile to include more about my professional life but plan to keep it at about the current ratio split!

I also try to come up with a creative new Facebook page each day. The point is that if one catches on, I could potentially have the ability to reach tens of thousands of people.

Ambassador

Great idea Marc – have you had success with a page yet? Marc Purtell said:
    I also try to come up with a creative new Facebook page each day. The point is that if one catches on, I could potentially have the ability to reach tens of thousands of people.

Ambassador

Thanks Mike! By business list, do you mean a friend list that you segmented into your business list on your personal profile? It seems we have about the same ratio split. Mike Gingerich said:
    Good discussion! I primarily use my Facebook account for personal connecting though I have been expanding it a bit using a business list with business contacts. I also have a Facebook Page for myself which is fully business focused. So the personal account is still 70/30 majority for friends and deeper connecting while the Page is 90/10 the other way. I have added some business Apps to my personal profile like TabSite to help expand my profile to include more about my professional life but plan to keep it at about the current ratio split!

Free Member
    We have two personalities for our Facebook presence, business and personal. Is there a way to set up a business presence without connecting it to your personal page? Deciding which one of the partners at i Creative Network would have the "like fan" page linked to them has been a challenge. Also: Are the Facebook webinar notes available on the club website? Sorry I missed it.

Ambassador

By a business presence I believe you are referencing a Facebook Page? If so, you can create a new profile specifically for your Page. On the profile, you can note this is used solely for your Business Page. This will eliminate the need of having to tie your personal profile to the Page should you not want to do so. Unfortunately, the webinar notes are not currently live however we are working on a solution for this. Hope this info helps! John Heller said:
    We have two personalities for our Facebook presence, business and personal. Is there a way to set up a business presence without connecting it to your personal page? Deciding which one of the partners at i Creative Network would have the "like fan" page linked to them has been a challenge. Also: Are the Facebook webinar notes available on the club website? Sorry I missed it.

Simon Kerr
    Generally speaking I don't use my facebook that much on a business level - it mostly evolves around friends, much prefer LinkedIn for business. I also love twitter and its simplicity like Erika. My interest in facebook does expand to my interests though and have found myself associated to 'tribal' zones that fit me, in a way I suppose I am indirectly opening the door to other uses. Having said that I have helped set up a number of business pages for clients so I have a hand-on approach to its marketing capability. After last weeks webinar I am interested more than ever in the advertising models it offers.