Best Strategy to Compete Against Entrenched Competition

Hello,

I have a site that ranks pretty well for a series of terms (often 2-3) but there is one competitor that has been around a long time and we can't seem to overcome. They do not have great content on their site but have lots of old links that are hard to duplicate.

I was thinking of using a combination of:

- adding unique new content to differentiate the sites even more

- doing some article marketing

- reviewing competitors links to see if any we can duplicate

Is there anything else anyone uses when there is one competitor in the way of achieving # results? The client already does fairly well but really wants to beat this one competitor.

Thanks.

I would say all of those strategies will work.*

For the 3rd bullet point, determining the # of backlinks and where they are coming from would be a good benefit.* You would then be able to reach out to those places and determine what it would take to get a backlink with them as well.* The way I look at it, when I can also get a link from a site that is linking to a competitor in my mind I'm chipping away at their authority.

You've already checked into all of the on-page optimization stuff I presume so that your site should be better than the competitor with regards to how keyword dense your site is on the keyword you need to beat them on?

Regards,

Chris

I would agree with Chris!* You plan looks great so far but finding out how many backlinks and deep links to the site would be a benefit.* Also make sure your articles are being syndicated to sites that have some PR to them and are being linked backed to your site.* This adds some link juice to you.*