Seeking ways for new internet writers to get traffic

I have been writing for a year so far.* I would love to make writing a new career.* I started with Fanstory and have now gone on to Associated Content, Ezine, Examiner.com,*three blogs and various other writing sistes.* Looking for suggestions to grow readership.

Thanks.

Glad to be here!

Have you built a Fanpage on Facebook yet? This might be a really good avenue for you.

Tim Utzig said:
    Have you built a Fanpage on Facebook yet? This might be a really good avenue for you.

Well Tim, I just want to make sure that I understand you.* I have a Facebook home page where I post article updates.* Is that what you mean?

I'm talking about a full-blown Fan page where there is a call to action when a first time visitor comes to your page capturing data; so possibly at some point you have built a list for newsletters and for anything that you can think of .... analytics and all. If you want to share your page with me send me an email and I will take a peek. Great to hear from you and have a great evening:)

Sherl Wilsher said:
    Well Tim, I just want to make sure that I understand you.* I have a Facebook home page where I post article updates.* Is that what you mean?

I didn't even know you could do something like that.** (Told you that I am a newbie, lol),* Yes, I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks.

Tim Utzig said:
    I'm talking about a full-blown Fan page where there is a call to action when a first time visitor comes to your page capturing data; so possibly at some point you have built a list for newsletters and for anything that you can think of .... analytics and all. If you want to share your page with me send me an email and I will take a peek. Great to hear from you and have a great evening:)

Sherl Wilsher said:

Hi Sherl,

I will be dropping a lot of checklists into the Facebook Group going forward. But here are a couple of ideas to ponder before starting a formal Facebook Fanpage; it will really help to have a plan before developing it.

1. What would be your goal or purpose for your Fanpage? Would you be creating a specialized theme for your page?* This is really important when it comes to targeting potential Fans and the mechanisms that you would use. Examples: Fitness information versus selling handbags vs being a self help writer. Keep in mind that you can have multiple pages for different lines; but in regards to a theme (fitness for an example); training programs/ training gear/ supplements would make for a encompassing theme.

2. Research and identify your audience -- this will be key for split testing. It can get very deep which is a great thing. At some point you will probably run some ads on Facebook. You can target in incredible ways like Women between the ages of 25-35, in a particular state, city who like Farmville. It can help you keep your costs down and drive targeted traffic to your Fan Page (this is just an example)

3. Analytics will be key as well -- i.e. individuals in one section of the country are going to be different than another part of the country. You will be able to look at insights on Facebook to see what is converting the best and adjust appropriately.

Once you can answer items 1 and 2 you will definitely be on your way to scoping out what you would want to include on your page etc.

Sherl Wilsher said:

I didn't even know you could do something like that.** (Told you that I am a newbie, lol),* Yes, I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks.

Thanks for the information.* I will get a start on it and will get back to you as I go along with questions.*
    Tim Utzig said:

Hi Sherl,

I will be dropping a lot of checklists into the Facebook Group going forward. But here are a couple of ideas to ponder before starting a formal Facebook Fanpage; it will really help to have a plan before developing it.

1. What would be your goal or purpose for your Fanpage? Would you be creating a specialized theme for your page?* This is really important when it comes to targeting potential Fans and the mechanisms that you would use. Examples: Fitness information versus selling handbags vs being a self help writer. Keep in mind that you can have multiple pages for different lines; but in regards to a theme (fitness for an example); training programs/ training gear/ supplements would make for a encompassing theme.

2. Research and identify your audience -- this will be key for split testing. It can get very deep which is a great thing. At some point you will probably run some ads on Facebook. You can target in incredible ways like Women between the ages of 25-35, in a particular state, city who like Farmville. It can help you keep your costs down and drive targeted traffic to your Fan Page (this is just an example)

3. Analytics will be key as well -- i.e. individuals in one section of the country are going to be different than another part of the country. You will be able to look at insights on Facebook to see what is converting the best and adjust appropriately.

Once you can answer items 1 and 2 you will definitely be on your way to scoping out what you would want to include on your page etc.

Sherl Wilsher said:

Thanks.

Very welcome .....sounds good Sherl .... Keep the questions coming and have a good evening.

-- Tim

Sherl Wilsher said:

Thanks for the information.* I will get a start on it and will get back to you as I go along with questions.*
    Tim Utzig said:

Hi Sherl,

Sherl Wilsher said:

Thanks.

Hey Sheri,

Both Facebook and Twitter are a great way to grow your readership.* Articlesbase, Squidoo, and other sites are great but you have to do some promoting of work.* Twitter and Facebook are a good place to get your work read.

I have a contact at ScienceFiction.com.* If you are interested just reply back and i can "introduce you".* Be sure to have your works ready in case they ask for details...