What are the best ways to integrate a blog and website?

What are the best ways to integrate a blog and website?* What is the "best practices" way to position the two so that you MAXIMIZE LINK LOVE and content keywords for ORGANIC Search Optimization?

Do you:

1.* Start with your website and "point" it to WordPress?

2.* Use WordPress for your website and blog?

3.* Host the blog on your website from the start?

4.* Host the blog as WordPress from your blog?

5.* What is the ultimate URL that points to the site, your own “.com” or the “ .wordpress.com ” *one?

What are the optimum ways to configure this, and linking techniques that get the most “bang for the buck?”

http://bayintegratedmarketing.wordpress.com/

If I can briefly comment on item #5, I have noticed that some of the public domain blog hosting sites such as blogger.com in particular have particular limits on things like plugin installations.* From my personal experience I'm happy with my own top level domains since I can load whatever I want.

I have blogs in my main root directory (www.website.com*as an example), and have also put the blog in a /blog directory after building out a website beforehand so I think it boils down to personal preference.* I also have blogs using subdomains.* The current thinking is if you are registering a domain with the sole intent of having it rank for keywords is to use those keywords in the domain (keyword1keyword2.com).* I am trying to currently test to see if .org domains can rank higher than .com domains with everything else being equal.* The jury is still out on that one.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris.* That is the information I was looking for.* Let me know what you find out about .org!

Chris Thompson said:

If I can briefly comment on item #5, I have noticed that some of the public domain blog hosting sites such as blogger.com in particular have particular limits on things like plugin installations.* From my personal experience I'm happy with my own top level domains since I can load whatever I want.

I have blogs in my main root directory (www.website.com*as an example), and have also put the blog in a /blog directory after building out a website beforehand so I think it boils down to personal preference.* I also have blogs using subdomains.* The current thinking is if you are registering a domain with the sole intent of having it rank for keywords is to use those keywords in the domain (keyword1keyword2.com).* I am trying to currently test to see if .org domains can rank higher than .com domains with everything else being equal.* The jury is still out on that one.

Regards,

Chris

This would depend on your overall plan. There isn't any one best way Steve. Looking at what Jay does his blog is seperate from his main site. It's a blogspot blog, That create more links to his main site from different domain (more juice). I know a few people who do that.

What are some of the goals of the "static" webpage? As Chris said there are limitations with hosted blogs, regardless having one of those as a feeder for summarizing your* main blog will be a good idea. Self hosted has its ups and downs, the whole plug-ins thing can get out of hand, the less you use the better. Keep the questions coming so we can assist you more.

Ambassador

Jay Berkowitz is an Ambassador!
    Blog Entries

Note:

If I could start over (I set up the blog years ago and we have many links) I would do a Word Press blog and link to our own domain www.TenGoldenRulesBlog.com

Richard Kaulfers said:

This would depend on your overall plan. There isn't any one best way Steve. Looking at what Jay does his blog is seperate from his main site. It's a blogspot blog, That create more links to his main site from different domain (more juice). I know a few people who do that.

What are some of the goals of the "static" webpage? As Chris said there are limitations with hosted blogs, regardless having one of those as a feeder for summarizing your* main blog will be a good idea. Self hosted has its ups and downs, the whole plug-ins thing can get out of hand, the less you use the better. Keep the questions coming so we can assist you more.

That is how I have it set up now.* It seems that the only way to keep them separate is to have the blog at https://bayintegratedmarketing.wordpress.com*and my website at http://bayintegratedmarketing.com/*.* I thought that I had remembered from one of your (USF) lectures that I should try to get the "wordpress" out of the URL, but when I tried that the blog came up just fine but I lost the website.

Steve - If you think about it this way...you're giving Wordpress all the link juice and not yourself. I love Wordpress and all the plugins/options...but there are limitations on the free version, just like "yourname.wordpress.com". I would suggest if both of your sites are on the Wordpress platform, then put the blog where your website says "blog". If you link out to your blog, you are not controlling where your traffic goes within your site.

I've had an issue with a client where he had a website for years and then added a blog on another domain. That is a better option since he owns both domains, though he was getting a high bounce rate from his website to his blog.

Just my two cents :)

Jacqueline,

Actually my website is on GoDaddy and perhapse I'm dense but i still cant get one straight answer on HOW to construct the links so that I can host my WordPress blog on my GoDaddy website.

Steve - If you think about it this way...you're giving Wordpress all the link juice and not yourself. I love Wordpress and all the plugins/options...but there are limitations on the free version, just like "yourname.wordpress.com". I would suggest if both of your sites are on the Wordpress platform, then put the blog where your website says "blog". If you link out to your blog, you are not controlling where your traffic goes within your site.

I've had an issue with a client where he had a website for years and then added a blog on another domain. That is a better option since he owns both domains, though he was getting a high bounce rate from his website to his blog.

Hi Steve,

I think you will enjoy this article about having a separate blog or a blog on your website:

http://www.betterbusinessblogging.com/blogging-basics/separate-blog-or-blog-on-my-own-website/

Some info. about Wordpress installations:

http://how-to-blog.tv/technical/wordpress-install-location/

And one of the best books I have read to date "Digging into Wordpress by Chris Coyier and Jeff Star" The things that you will learn from that book are incredible. The pdf version also links to extra items code, security etc.

http://digwp.com/

Hosting your blog on Godaddy will require you do move the content from the wordpress hosted site into the new self hosted site on Godaddy.

Now this will require you to have a hosting account with them, which I am guessing you do. I would personally recommend using Hostgator as a hosting service but if your going to use godaddy.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting.aspx

If you want to just setup Domain masking and keep the wordpress hosted site you can do that as well.

Domain Masking and Forwarding with Hostgator.

with hostgator you can make subdomains

blog.domain.com which would build backlinks or you can install wordpress in another directory on your hosting service

which your link would be domian.com/blog

I understand that this may still be a broad answer. Again keep the questions rolling.

Steve Ulrich said:

Jacqueline,

Actually my website is on GoDaddy and perhapse I'm dense but i still cant get one straight answer on HOW to construct the links so that I can host my WordPress blog on my GoDaddy website.

Hey Steve,

In my experience why not purchase a domain from a hosting company and set the site up using word press.* That way you get all your backlinks and traffic and don't have to worry about the www.example.wordpress.com limitations.* I would recommend having you site set up where you have a blog integrated in the the site itself.* Have a home, about us, blog, etc. that why you can allow all of you new posts to go to your blog if you dont what those articles on you main site.