Administrator
    Blog Entries

Facebook & Legal Stuff Is Getting Out of Control

What do you think of this craziness? I think this is insane! A sheriff fired 6 employees for clicking "like" on a competing sheriff's Facebook page. A judge upheld the law maintaining that a like on Facebook is "just a click", not an expression of freedom of speech. WOW!

http://mashable.com/2012/05/07/facebook-like-fired/
    Shari McConahay

If this case does not make it all the way to the Supreme Court, there will be another one that will. As the Internet becomes such an ingrained part of our modern-day lives, issues like this are going to come up more and more, and we as a country are going to need some major rulings to set the tone of what is the "new" free speech.

And if clicking the like the button is "just a click" then it shouldn't be enough to get you fired, either.

Completely ridiculous. It's insane that they were fired over something so minor....and personally, I think that clicking 'like' is a form of free speech. Pretty sure that judge must have been a very old, not very internet-savvy person.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I didn't really think of it that way, but yeah, if it's just a click it shouldn't be a fireable offense, although I have no idea what the employment laws are in that state. Either way, I'm sure that we have not seen the end of this in the courts, at least I hope they don't leave that precedence on the books.
    Shari McConahay

Did you hear about the Fire Captain in Miami who got demoted for a Facebook post about the Trayvon Martin case? The Fire Dept. said he's a public servant and therefore is on duty 24/7... http://on.msnbc.com/Jk1qym. What do you think?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I think I did hear about this, but never read the details until now. Thanks for posting it. That is definitely a controversial one because he did a lot more than just click a like button. Without agreeing or disagreeing with his comment, I would say that he should not have PUBLICLY posted that comment. I don't know whether his comment was public or not, but strong feelings and expletives should be kept private. I don't have an issue if he posted that with privacy settings in place. No one should be penalized for sharing comments or photos with friends and family as long as it is private. It is unfortunate that it has come to that, but we live in a digital, social media world and have to act accordingly, realizing that what we say in public social media channels can be used against us, especially by employers or potential employers. Furthermore, if what he posted was private and not shared with his boss, then he should be the one seeking legal action for invasion of privacy.

Do you know if his post was public or shared privately?
    Shari McConahay

I don't really know anymore about it than what the article said, but whether or not he set the post to "public" or "private," Facebook is essentially a public forum and (especially if you have hundreds or thousands of "friends") you should always conduct yourself as if anyone can see what you post. As a first amendment issue, however, I am very interested to see how this whole "Facebook vs. employer" thing plays out.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you 100%, its not wise to post anything that you might regret later. Its a strange new world! I know that this will come up more and more and kids and teens growing up with Facebook might have to face consequences for things they post. And I'm sure plenty of adults too, for that matter! I will definitely be looking out for more news on the legal aspects like this as they will play a bigger and bigger role in the future.
    Shari McConahay

Because of the real inability to have any kind of actual privacy on Facebook (partly due to the complex privacy settings they've concocted to make privacy difficult and partly because I am "friends" with people I don't know well), I never post anything remotely personal and mainly use Facebook to keep up with events and maintain the network of dancers that I have developed as a result of my hobby.

Have you been to YourOpenBook.org? It seems like it's down right now, but there's a good article about it here.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information on YourOpenBook.org. Not surprising in the least! I also am really careful with what I post on Facebook, but I know many, just like I'm sure you all do, who are not so careful or tactful or politically correct. And imagine all the teenagers and college students now who are less than discreet or careful. There will be plenty of Facebook regrets, and it will only continue to grow. I am more careful about posting things because of the privacy of my daughter, so that keeps me even in more check of postings, not specifically about saying the wrong thing for myself, but just for our family privacy and safety, which is another concern altogether and even more important.
    Shari McConahay