Administrator
    Blog Entries

Would You Give Up Facebook Passwords in a Job Interview?

I was pretty amazed to see articles surface yesterday reporting that companies during job interviews were asking the job applicants for their Facebook username and passwords! What do you think about this? I would not want to work for a company that is that intrusive into my private life and as an employer, I would never ask for this!
    Shari McConahay

NO to Giving Facebook Sign-in Credentials to Prospective Employers

Simple answer NO. There has to be a limit to what a company can ask for. Would you allow HR or your hiring manager to walk through your house, peek in your closet and look through your check book too? What justifiable reason could there be for such a request?

Are there possible exceptions? Perhaps for law enforcement and people working in national security positions, or having direct access to controls in power plants and other critical infrastructure. Some people suggest other public employees could be asked as well. However, even for the "exceptions" there needs to be guidelines of what can be flagged as a possible issue. After all, how many people on this planet haven't done or said something that they would not be proud of? Even if there are a few, perfect people out there, actions or remarks be taken out of context so some simple guidelines should be established for those ultra sensitive positions.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you, Peter, I would not feel comfortable working for a company that wanted to snoop around in my private life. I believe that some of the jobs in the articles I read were for state or correctional institutes, and while it is important to know about the character of someone in corrections or law enforcement, I don't think that prying into their social media profiles is an answer. And I certainly don't think it applies to jobs in other sectors, and I am fearful that if it is not nipped in the bud now, employers will get out of control. The article talked about potential laws being discussed to forbid employers from asking for social media access.

Here are the articles, they were also in the Internet Marketing News section the other day.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/job-seekers-getting-asked-facebook-passwords-071251682.html

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...?edition=44790
    Shari McConahay

Why don't they just ask for your online banking username & password while they're at it? I definitely would not give ANYONE my log in info - not even my husband! And I wouldn't want to work for an employer that had the gall and ignorance to ask. Now, if I was being heavily vetted for a very competitive position, I would allow a potential employer to friend me and check out my interactions. There's nothing out there I'm ashamed of and if a potential employer thinks there is, then we're probably not a good match anyway.

By the way, I heard a report that college kids on Spring Break were not going as wild this year because they know it could end up on Facebook or YouTube. Let's just say I'm grateful this whole social media revolution occurred after my Spring Break days were over.

By the way, right after I posted my response here I read this article on Mashable that Facebook is taking a stand against employers in this issue: http://on.mash.to/GHyiwZ

Facebook serves as another form of email for me. I can't even begin to think about the value of business transactions that I've conducted through Facebook messages. There is no job in the world that would make me give up my Facebook password for prying eyes to sift through.

This is the same as asking for email login and password.

Let's just say I'm grateful this whole social media revolution occurred after my Spring Break days were over

ha! me too

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I am glad to see that Facebook is taking a stand on something! I didn't even think about the private emails on Facebook as well - that is even more insane now if you factor those in! I had already felt like it is akin to asking to read my diary. And - not that I have things to hide on my Facebook profile, its just private!
    Shari McConahay

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I found this article to be a good read: 'What to do When a Potential Employer Asks for Your Facebook Password' http://mashable.com/2012/04/08/emplo...book-password/

I liked the direct tips they gave if you are presented with the ridiculous and awkward situation during a job interview:

If you are asked for your password, here are some things you can say, in an eloquent and respectful manner, to show you will stand your ground:
    • “I am very careful with my personal, private online persona and do not feel comfortable giving out any passwords. But you can feel free to look at my profile as it appears to you as a company right now, if you would like.”
    • “I would never participate in social media on the organization’s time and ask that the organization will respect my personal social media rights outside of work.”
    • “My LinkedIn network is a great place for you to review my professional experience and see the professional connections that I have that may be of benefit to your organization.”
    • “Is that something that is required to move forward with this job interview?”
    Shari McConahay