Administrator
    Blog Entries

Is Google Making Us Lose Memory?

Something most of my marketing friends and associates don't know about me is that I am a psychologist; by degree anyway. Even though I am not a practicing psychologist by trade, I find that psychology and marketing go together hand in hand. Having a psychology degree has definitely helped in dealing with employees - and family since we have a family business. Anyhow, that is why I love articles like this one Google Search is Destroying Our Memory. The article basically says that we are not training our memory to remember things since we know they are easily accessible on the internet. I am wondering how much truth there is to that. Or, I would hypothesize that what we remember is different - and always changing generation over generation. Instead of memorizing the presidents (as the article uses for an example), we remember lists of websites or different computer skills. And generations ago, they had to memorize other things like recipes from scratch, fixing cars differently, etc.

So what do you think. . . and how does it make you feel? (Sorry just had to throw that one in there!)
    Shari McConahay

Free Member
    I've often wondered about this...While I do think we are memorizing much fewer (often useless) facts, they are often just that - useless facts. People used to have to memorize these things because they didn't have an easy way to access them outside of their own brains. Nowadays, the emphasis seems to be on having the ability to access this information, rather than having the information stored in your own head. With the increase in smart phones and the internet literally at our fingertips, I don't think the information is any less accessible than if we had memorized such facts. I don't think there is much value in memorizing something such as times tables when there are always calculators around. The most important thing to learn from times tables (in my opinion) is the patterns, which can be just as easily learned (in a more fun and exploratory way) using calculators.

A very interesting topic though. I do wonder if Google is making us stupider even though we seem to have an easier time accessing more information than ever before.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Very valid points, Mikhaila! I imagine other things like auto spell check also does not force us to remember some of the silly rules of the English language either! Your post also made me 'remember' that when I was in college taking calculus and using the scientific calculator all the time, I 'forgot' how to add! To this day, I have to count on my fingers (or use a calculator) to add and subtract now! But, I am more of a writer than a mathematician, so that might have something to do with it!
    Shari McConahay

Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!
    What an interesting topic! I dont know if I would go as far as to say we are stupider because of the Internet I just think things are different. Does it make us stupid to not remember how to do math equations by hand or resourceful that we can do it faster by calculator?

Rewiring?

I remember reading an article a while back that said that we're rewiring our brains to be better at finding the information we need rather than remembering it. That sounds plausible to me.

Google is changing the way we work, think and live

Psychologists are still studying effects of internet usage over human abilities. But one thing is for sure that google has completely changed how we search for information, read news, shop, find life partners. Google today affects almost every aspect of human life and like any other technology search has it's pros and cons. Maybe it has a negative effect on our memory but it more than compensates for this by making our life easy.

Is Google Making Us Lose Me

hello everybody, i am new here and i just wanted to know who is really making money online and how are you doing it? thanks

Is Google Making Us Lose Memory

Google the terms "freelance writer" or "freelance article" and you will get over 14 million sites to start researching.
    NORD VPN - #.com I recommend