Ambassador

Erika Barbosa is an Ambassador!

Google Introduces Search + Your World

Google released the below video yesterday, providing us with a preview into “Search + Your World.”

How much value does SEO really even have now?

I think Search+ is really going to open up search engine traffic for a lot of websites. I've enjoyed the Google+ integration with the regular search feature, as I have found it helpful to see that people in my circle have already shared and expressed interest when I'm on a SERP. The Search+ seems to expand on that even more. I hope more people make the switch from Facebook, or at least starting using G+ more. I think it could really change how we share content.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I am really excited about the changes in Google's new personal search results. I like the fact that you can toggle back and forth between the personal results or turn them off. I don't have it yet, but I would guess it also will let you block certain results like they have been doing lately, to make it more customized to you. It is a big step forward into the future and I am excited about it and what it means for those of us who are very social online and share a lot of things with a lot of people.
    Shari McConahay

Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhaila View Post
    I think Twitter's reaction to this is pretty funny, especially considering live Tweets have been feeding into Google for a while now. Apparently they are afraid the new social search will push down Twitter results and make it harder for people to get the latest news from Twitter.

Here's what Twitter spokesperson, Matt Graves, has to say about it:
    [URL="http://mashable.com/2012/01/10/twitter-google-social-search/"]
    Very interesting response - definitely not what I was expecting.

For Twitter to come out and say this, they really must feel threatened.

Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wooddy View Post
    I think Search+ is really going to open up search engine traffic for a lot of websites. I've enjoyed the Google+ integration with the regular search feature, as I have found it helpful to see that people in my circle have already shared and expressed interest when I'm on a SERP. The Search+ seems to expand on that even more. I hope more people make the switch from Facebook, or at least starting using G+ more. I think it could really change how we share content.
    I too have enjoyed the changes in Google search. However, I think these changes will either open up more opportunity for websites or completely opposite. Now websites really have to produce valuable/shareable content. Otherwise, the other more frequently shared websites will take even more precedence.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Its almost like Google is turning its users into employees filtering out relevant content for them! I got the "Search Plus" features this afternoon and I like it. I also saw something new this morning: I searched for a recipe I use often for the slow cooker that I didn't have printed out in the kitchen. After searching for it, in the results was the link and under the link it said "You have visited this site 2 times before." I hadn't seen that before but really think that is a valuable feature for searchers!
    Shari McConahay

Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shari McConahay View Post
    Its almost like Google is turning its users into employees filtering out relevant content for them! I got the "Search Plus" features this afternoon and I like it. I also saw something new this morning: I searched for a recipe I use often for the slow cooker that I didn't have printed out in the kitchen. After searching for it, in the results was the link and under the link it said "You have visited this site 2 times before." I hadn't seen that before but really think that is a valuable feature for searchers!
    That is a cool feature, I haven't seen that before either! Was that only when you were signed in to G+ or did it just come from your cookies?

Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erika Barbosa View Post
    I too have enjoyed the changes in Google search. However, I think these changes will either open up more opportunity for websites or completely opposite. Now websites really have to produce valuable/shareable content. Otherwise, the other more frequently shared websites will take even more precedence.
    I don't see having to produce valuable content as limiting opportunity. I think it levels the playing field by opening up opportunities for smaller sites with really great content to actually get recognized and larger sites with nothing to offer to fall into the background. I understand some websites will see limited opportunity to rank with these changes, but the ones with superior content will rise to the top with ease. From a users' standpoint, I see this as a great advancement. From an SEO perspective, I feel your pain

Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Shari McConahay View Post
    I am really excited about the changes in Google's new personal search results. I like the fact that you can toggle back and forth between the personal results or turn them off. I don't have it yet, but I would guess it also will let you block certain results like they have been doing lately, to make it more customized to you. It is a big step forward into the future and I am excited about it and what it means for those of us who are very social online and share a lot of things with a lot of people.
    I like the toggle feature too. It doesn’t force you to use the social search filter.

Ambassador

That is a cool feature, I haven't seen that before either! Was that only when you were signed in to G+ or did it just come from your cookies?
    I agree Shari!

Mikhaila, you have to be signed into your Google account to see it.

Ambassador

I don't see having to produce valuable content as limiting opportunity. I think it levels the playing field by opening up opportunities for smaller sites with really great content to actually get recognized and larger sites with nothing to offer to fall into the background. I understand some websites will see limited opportunity to rank with these changes, but the ones with superior content will rise to the top with ease. From a users' standpoint, I see this as a great advancement. From an SEO perspective, I feel your pain
    I completely agree Mikhaila. By limiting opportunity – I meant – for those who do not produce valuable content but rather play off of their SEO.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I was signed into Google + yesterday but I don't think that had anything to do with it, it was the cookies in Google's search. I have been thinking about it and I guess one of the downsides as a marketer is the challenge that now everyone's search results are SO different (way more different that before) that we don't know where our sites "really" rank.
    Shari McConahay

Free Member
    Here's a great article explaining how SEO will be affected by Social Search: http://mashable.com/2012/01/13/google-search-plus-your-world-seo/

It looks like the new wave of SEO may be in optimizing your G+ brand page and posting content that is relevant and likely to be shared by users. The article offers an interesting tip about guest blogging too:
    if guest blogging is a part of your SEO strategy, which it should be, you need to ensure that each site that publishes your content is using the rel="author" tag that leads back to your Google+ profile so you gain more clout and authority from Google.